Returning to Social Work
Here at Oldham Council, we want to make it as easy as possible for you to return to your profession/role as a Social Worker.
If you have been out of practice for up to two years, you can simply re-register with Social Work England and we will pay your restoration fee for you.
If you are returning after a period of two to five years, you must spend 30 days updating your skills and knowledge and for those over five years, it is 60 days. This can comprise a combination of supervised practice with us and private study, through which you will be fully supported.
What we offer
To help you meet these requirements Oldham Children’s Social Work Academy are offering a placement programme where you will complete supervised practice. You will have a link Consultant Social Worker (CSW) who will be responsible for overseeing placement arrangements, whilst an allocated Supervising Social Worker (An Advanced Practitioner or Practice Educator Qualified Social Worker) will supervise the day-to-day placement and private study. The CSW will be your first point of contact throughout the placement for any escalation needs.
Throughout the placement, a range of activities will be included, which will be agreed during an initial Placement Meeting between the CSW, supervising social worker/Practice Educator), and the student at the start of each placement. This will be tailored to the students individual needs.
Social Work England recognises the following activities as part of supervised practice:
- Providing information, support and guidance to service users and their families
- Contributing to, or shadowing assessments
- Care planning
- Applying legislation
- Signposting and liaising with other agencies
- Attending team and multi-disciplinary meetings
- Case recording
- Training sessions
- Shadowing social workers and other professionals
- Any other activities relevant to the setting
Students are not expected to carry their own caseload, and Private Study will form part of your placement.
As a minimum, each placement at Oldham will include:
- Completion of Council and service induction
- Weekly reflective supervision, including a review of your reflective learning journal
- Minimum of 3 assessment observations
- A short (10-15 minute) presentation by yourself at the end of placement on your learning journey and how your knowledge and skills have been updated in-line with SWE requirements.
At the end of your placement, you will be supported with applying for suitable roles at Oldham, helping you to understand what good looks like for applications and interviews, and how best to demonstrate your experiences gained throughout the placement.
It won’t cost you anything!
We want to ensure our Recruitment processes are inclusive to all, so Oldham’s offer also includes full cost of your DBS Check which is required prior to the start of the placement. Oldham will also pay your restoration fee to SWE. Finally, upon successful restoration, and interview the Council also reimburse SWE annual registration fees, alongside a healthy salary and many staff benefits.
Register your interest now with the Principal Social Worker, Stephanie Dixon by emailing your CV and a supporting statement to CSWA@Oldham.gov.uk